Sunday, May 3, 2015

Garlic Marinara Sauce

As a person who identifies with my Italian heritage, it is imperative to make your own sauce. In fact, in the culture I grew up with, one would be considered incompetent if one couldn't create sauce and - gasp - bought sauce in a jar! Aside from cultural commitment, I sincerely prefer my own sauce because I like to keep the ingredients fresh and healthy.  For those of you who find fear in sauce, I hope you will find this recipe super-easy to follow. 

It's a huge portion of sauce, but that's because I like to save a bunch to use throughout the week in various recipes.  Adjust measurements accordingly based on your own needs, of course.  Also, you could ask 5 different Italians how to make sauce and you'll get 5 different answers, so if you have any questions, just make a comment!



I firmly believe in using organic crushed tomatoes for the sauce. You can use other brands - I would recommend Progresso, if you can't get your hands on Nature's Promise, but you will get a different flavor. Out of all the tomatoes I've tried, I swear by Nature's Promise.  I also believe in organic olive oil, but any extra virgin olive oil will be fine.




Servings - about 15. Weight Watchers Points Plus Per Serving: 1

Ingredients

  •  1 tsp dried oregano   
  •  5 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), finely chopped   
  •  1/8 cup(s) olive oil   
  •  2 Tbsp ground basil   
  •   56 oz Natures Promise Organics Crushed Tomatoes, Organic, with Basil   

Instructions

  • Add olive oil to heated pot. Add garlic to heated olive oil. Brown garlic. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until it boils, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir every 4 minutes to make sure sauce isn't sticking to pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment